Patriotic Paper Pin-Wheels
What You’ll Need:
• Small 1/4-inch dowel, cut to about 12 to 16 inches in length OR heavy cardboard, cut to same length by 3/4 inch wide
• Thin nail with a flat head, about 1 1/2 inches long
• Block of wood for protecting surface
• Small beads
• Double-sided scrapbooking paper in red, white and blue patterns
What To Do:
1. Measure and mark a 7-inch square on paper. Cut out square.
2. Use ruler to draw diagonal lines from corner to corner to form an “X” on paper. Measure and mark a point 3/4″ from center of “X” along each line.
3. Cut along diagonal line stopping at marked point.
4. Fold one corner into center and hold with finger. Repeat for each of the four corners. Secure by poking the nail with one bead threaded on it, through all layers at the center point. Use the wood underneath to protect the surface. Twirl nail to widen hole.
5. Thread two more beads onto the nail behind the pinwheel.
5. With adult supervision, gently hammer nail into the dowel, about 1/2 inch from end. Leave some room between washers and dowel to spin freely.